The ECYEH program is funded by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and supported by a State Coordinator, Center for Schools and Communities staff, Allegheny Intermediate Unit staff, and eight regional offices that are located across Pennsylvania. Through this collaboration the program is responsible for:
- informing school districts and charter schools of their McKinney-Vento Act responsibilities to children and youth experiencing homelessness.
- identifying and increasing awareness about the needs of children and youth experiencing homelessness.
- assisting in revealing and overcoming educational barriers.
- explaining current legislation and policies.
- providing professional development, training, and practical tips for working with students experiencing homelessness.
- providing monitoring, data, and evaluation support and reporting to meet federal and state compliance.